Tuesday 30 December 2014

Fairly-recent and worthwhile additions to my diet - not available when I was a child

*

Pink seedless grapes. Seasonally available - but by far the best grapes I have ever had. (These still aren't available in Spain.)

Macadamia nuts - (rather an infrequent item) not like other nuts in terms of texture, and a valuable addition to mixed nut combos.

Tomatoes sold 'on the vine' - this has improved the flavour of my favourite 'vegetable'.

Kiwi fruit - again not something I have terribly often, but they are significantly different from anything else, and I am glad they are available. 

Filtered milk - eg Cravendale. This one is important. I drink a lot of milk; and this is far better - as well as more reliable and less likely to be semi-rancid - than anything I ever had as a child. 

Sausages - are so much improved compared with the low-meat/ high cereal/ high-gristle-content things of my childhood (all that was then available) as to be almost like a different food.

But not everything has changed - for example a major part of my current diet still includes peanut butter, mature cheddar cheese, and Shreddies.

*

6 comments:

Cameron said...

You don't eat paleo (kidding)?

josh said...

A plot line in one of the Jeeves novels revolves around the sausages at Bertie's bording school.

George said...

Your diet sounds dangerously American!

Wm Jas said...

It's nice to notice that, despite the general prognosis of doom and gloom, a few things are actually getting better!

dearieme said...

Your childhood was evidently deficient in Cumberland sausages.

Bruce Charlton said...

@d - That is correct. I have made up for it during adulthood, of course.