Wednesday 30 July 2014

A Cosmic Cosmology

*


A cosmology is a mythical account of the universe as it presents itself to the human mind; it needs to be poetic, symbolic, inspiring of a sense of awe and mystery. Furthermore, a complete cosmology should include the three levels of macro-, meso- and micro-cosm, in order to understand the nature of the universe, human society, and the individual’s relation to them.

I seem to crave - almost to demand - what might be termed a cosmic cosmology. The kind of thing that hree years ago I was blogging about:

http://charltonteaching.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/medieval-cosmology-looking-up-at-stars.html

This cosmic dimension - so rich in the Middle Ages - I find lacking from so much Christianity - especially on the Protestant side. But I find it too in Mormonism, with very appealing personal and narrative elements.



And also in the work of William Arkle:


And where I find it, I cherish it; on a day-to-day, hour-by-hour basis.

*

No comments: