Wednesday 23 October 2013

Too much sarky snark - Gandalf versus Saruman

*

It's not just swearing and cussing; but I'm fed-up of sarcastic snark on the internet, and indeed everywhere!

(I'm fed up of it mostly in myself.)

And I can't be bothered anymore with blogs (or novels, or newspapers, or TV, or movies, or science, or literature, or songs or anything) based on sarky snark.

*

Good-natured ribbing and teasing (of those who don't mind): great!; irritability and even short outbursts of bad temper: okay, nobody's perfect - but sark and snark are a particularly insidious and addictive form of evil.

It's the difference between Gandalf and Saruman.

‘So you have come, Gandalf,’ [Saruman] said to me gravely; but in his eyes there seemed to be a white light, as if a cold laughter was in his heart.

‘Yes, I have come,’ I said. ‘I have come for your aid, Saruman the White.’

And that title seemed to anger him.‘Have you indeed, Gandalf the Grey!’ he scoffed. ‘For aid? It has seldom been heard of that Gandalf the Grey sought for aid, one so cunning and so wise, wandering about the lands, and concerning himself in every business, whether it belongs to him or not.’

*

So, if something is dominated by sark or snark, chances are I won't be bothering with it in future.

Better ways to spend my time.

(e.g. Doing nothing but stare into space is better.)

*

1 comment:

Samson J. said...

It's not just swearing and cussing; but I'm fed-up of sarcastic snark on the internet, and indeed everywhere!

Alas refraining from it completely is beyond the character of most of us. One would need to have the greatness of Gandalf, or the humility of the hobbits.