Sunday 29 April 2012

The search for meaning and purpose (everywhere except Christianity)

*

For many decades I was searching for the meaning and purpose of life - and it was a serious search, involving a great deal of time, travel, effort and expense.

I was searching in many, many directions and places, in almost all places - except for Christianity.

*

Because I knew all about Christianity, and I knew that the answer was not there; and therefore I resented all discussion of Christianity because it was merely wasting my precious time.

I was impatient and irritable about Christianity, because I knew all about it and I knew it was nonsense.

*

When I eventually discovered Christianity was what I had supposedly been seeking, I felt pretty silly: I was pretty silly.

I had been willfully blind; I had systematically refrained from searching the only place where what I sought was to be found.

*

This is the evil triumph of anti-Christian modernity - to have people assume that they know-all-about Christianity, that it is obsolete and exploded, and to deflect their search for meaning and purpose everywhere-except Christianity, and to make these same folk pride themselves on their open-mindedness, their unprejudiced truth-seeking.

Yet no matter how open minded and unprejudiced and sincere they are in their wide-ranging search for meaning and purpose they have unwittingly made the one, single, lethal assumption which utterly prevents them finding what they seek.

Wasted lives...

*

No comments: